Ranked Event: GP Suzuka

Discussion in 'Esports' started by CaptainCoffee, Sep 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainCoffee

CaptainCoffee Esports Manager Beta tester

Ratings:
    +202 / 0 / -0
    Ranked Event: GP Suzuka
    For the eight Ranked Event of 2023 we're going to Suzuka on Saturday, September 23 for a 90 minutes race with the FR-X22! The top 26 European drivers based on their Ranked Multiplayer Rank will battle for a spot in the Hall of Fame in this live broadcast.

Leaderboard: compare your time with others
    Everybody is invited to set their best lap on the leaderboard to compare your time against others. You do not need to own the track and you can try every car for free. The leaderboard will close on Thursday, September 21 13:00 CEST.

Everybody is invited to race
    Everyone who wants to race is invited: all skill levels and regions. You do need to own the content in order to participate. You will be matched with other drivers based on your Ranked Multiplayer Rating and Reputation of your region.

Time zone/regions for the race
    The races are organized in three main time zones:
    • America: EDT
    • Europe: CEST
    • Oceania: AEST
    Confirm you want to race
    When the leaderboard closes, a confirmation form will be opened. This form will be sent by mail to everybody who set a lap time on the leaderboard. The form will also be announced on Discord, Social Media and added to this topic.

The confirmation form will be open from Thursday September 21 12:00 CEST until race day Saturday September 23. The form will close at a different time for each region:
    • America: 09:00 EDT
    • Europe: 12:00 CEST
    • Oceania: 18:00 AEST
    Your rating and reputation will be fetched at the time listed above. To be safe, make sure your last race ends +/- 30 minutes before the deadline.

Race day timetable
    All times below are the local times (AEST / CEST / EDT):
    • 18:00 - Practice
    • 20:00 - Qualification (30 minutes, private lap)
    • 20:30 - Warm-up (1 minute)
    • 20:32 - Race start (90 minutes)
    It is possible that the servers will be opened earlier for America and Europe, however the qualification will always start at 20:00 local time. It is advised to join before the qualification starts, you can (re)join during qualification.

Race server settings
    • Ping limit
      • Broadcast server 200
      • Other servers: 350
    • Incident limit:
      • Broadcast server: 50
      • Other servers: 70
    • Mandatory pitstop: no
    • Start: standing start with no jumpstart protection
    • Setup: fixed
    • Qualification: 30 minutes
    • Join during qualification: enabled
    • Qualification type: private/flying lap
    • Warm-up: 1 minute
    • Race duration: 90 minutes
    • Drivers per grid: minimum 16, maximum 26
    • Class: FR-X 22

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  2. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Huh, will be interesting to see how many drivers actually appear on race day and dare to try this difficult car for 90 mins.

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Interesting to see this being fixed setup, makes it more attractive for me although im not sure its enough to make wanna take part in this case :D
    But just in case, what can still be adjusted? Brake balance id assume is fine but unsure about brake pressure, tire pressures, engine map and the mgu stuff

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Brake balance and brake pressure seem to be the only things you can adjust on the leaderboard. It also didn't let me change engine map and MGU while driving, but maybe that'll be different for an actual race.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What about assists? :D
    Free choice as usual?

6. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I actually got discouraged by fixed setup. Besides there not being much of a point in driving the most advanced racing cars on the planet without being able to use all the in-depth setup options, I'm also not a fan of the default setups for X-22, as I always need to adjust a few settings to make them more driveable. This is one of those exceptional cases where I feel open setups actually make the competition more inclusive instead of less, because the car itself is a pretty significant barrier, but setup can make it less so.

But I'll check it out nonetheless, I haven't driven the X-22 for some time now, so maybe it's different now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It hasn´t changed. It´s the Greenwood Corvette with wings. The hair trigger throttle and lack of linear grip in lower gears give me endless opportunities to look like those people in "Idiots in Supercars" videos. I´d be out of the race within 5 minutes if there is a 30 penalty point rule or have to use driver aids and be super slow.

Leclerc is able to apply full throttle before and after the tunnel in second/third gear even with the steering applied and the car doesn´t spin out.

In RRE, I have to drive on eggshells like it was an 80´s turbo car.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Yeah can understand that perspective as well. But as someone who doesnt really enjoy working on setups having a car thats pretty tricky to drive and has a near overwhelming amount of setup options id never be able to drive these online without wondering whether im losing a couple seconds just because of setup and for me thats even less fun than driving a car that doesnt quite behave the way id like. That being said ive given it a test drive and am now sure i wont be taking part so from now on am pretty neutral about whether fixed or open setup is being run :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Where/when can you see his pedal inputs in that video?

10. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

Here's a nice example with telemetry. Turn 3 on Red Bull Ring, which is known for tricky traction, and yet Max is very aggressive with throttle on 2nd gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Super slow, but also super stable and easy to drive. If that's gonna be a race of survival, I'd say it's not the worst option... :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    You can hear from the engine note when full throttle is applied and when it is feathered. There are plenty of other examples with on board telemetry like the one in the video above where you can hear (and see) the throttle applied gradually out of turn 2 until he straightens the wheels. You can also hear the wheelspin in 3rd gear but the RRE car is more nervous so I´d be in 3rd gear and short shifting to 4th or using driver aids, with the consequent loss of acceleration.

Suzuka is not too bad a track for the F1 in the mid to high speed sections where aero grip is so high but the hairpin and the chicane exit will be tricky to manage in this car - perhaps the esses too, if in too low a gear.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  13. soulixmane

soulixmane New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bro im playing with a keyboard

14. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    If assists are allowed, you can use them, that'll be enough.

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I tried to set a lap using a keyboard yesterday and wasn´t too far off the best ghost car until the hairpin, but that part of the track is the killer. After a dozen attempts I gave up as you need to be in fourth gear coming out of there to avoid the car spinning out and you lose too much time - even in third and tapping the throttle to modulaye acceleration the car can´t handle it, so assists are pretty much essential to avoid frustration and crashing. Last time I tried it with the pedals, it was the same - it´s very hard to be able to drive the car like a Verstappen hot lap and that seems to be validated by the lap times being 3 seconds slower, although there are probably other variables coming into play too. Let´s see how they get on in the race, it should be interesting to watch.

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In the interest of science I tried both. With assists (ABS and TC as you can´t choose only TC) I did 4 or 5 laps with no mistakes or spins and worked down to a low 1.39. The current best assisted time is in the 1.37s.

With no assists I can do a low 1.38 as a valid time, the current best being a high 1.32. The issue is that it took more than 30 minutes to get that time and although my best sectors would put me in the 1.37s and there is definitely still more time to gain than that on my side, it´s impossible to string two valid laps together as the car will invariably spin out on acceleration from the hairpin or the last chicane, even in 3rd or 4th and with the wheels straight.

So, for the race, to have any chance of finishing, I´d definitely run with assists, but it applies so much TC to the car that it rightly feels fake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    have any of you thought of remapping the throttle pedal for this car in the controller setup , thus forcing the pedal input to be a slower input at the beginning(thus giving less chance of the wheels spinning)

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I thought of it, but decided not to bother. There's nothing wrong with my throttle curve and I'm not desperate to participate. The default setups have been complained about ever since the car was released, so locking players into them is just silly, on top of fixed setups being a bit silly for this kind of car in general, being on the top end of performance.

But, well, maybe I'm simply not the target audience for this event.

19. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this is a setup problem, the turbo response is just too aggressive compared to real life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, even with pedals I really struggle with this car unless I could put the engine map right down to 1 and deactivate the KERS.

The car is probably one of the easiest to drive otherwise, there is so much lateral grip and braking power. The trucks, Greenwood or Nissan GTO are no go areas for me as everything about them is hard to manage!

It used to be that games like Geoff Crammond´s had in built support for digital inputs as back then they were the core devices and the throttle response was tailored to them.

I guess it just means less units get sold - any car not in the Premium pack gets tested before purchase, in my case and neither the truck nor f1 got past the test phase whereas the Porsche pack and Mazda MX5 passed with flying colours.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.