So what is your second favourite sim? (not counting R3E)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by garytc78, Jun 18, 2015.

?

So what is your favourite sim?

1. Assetto Corsa

2. rFactor 2

3. Game Stock Car Extreme

4. Project Cars

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    really enjoy Dirt Rally, hope they will add more locations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Finland next and Sweden in November. For me though, their biggest priority after that should be more stages in existing locations; 20km in each is way too few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, Id go one further, IMO Codies should of looked back at staging in the original Colin Mcrae DiRT and used the same approach, would of been a winner.
    I still have DiRT installed, it's a shame DiRT 2 & 3 went so Stadium/Gymkhana, although they were fun titles, it's certainly a relief to see Codies get back to where they were when Colin was guiding them, and get serious about Rally Simulation.

4. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hey there :) any chance you can link to the mod work you mentioned? Thanks in advance, cheers.

5. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I'm also curious what mod and settings you use for your CSW V2.
    Since the big FFB update of the game I find it totally messed up, and I cannot enjoy the game anymore :(

7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  8. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    No problem. FFB was the great mystery till I found those settings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Yes they certainly help the cars feel more connected with the road surface, thank god for the modding community I say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
  12. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
  13. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Thought I'd do some comparisons between R3E and Assetto Corsa with the BMW M3 GT2 at Monza and I have to say every time I fire up AC I'm reminded of just how good the force feedback and physics is in this game. The cars feel HEAVY, they don't spin on a dime and last night I put a huge flat spot on my front tyres going in too aggressively to the first chicane and the wheel nearly shook my arms off for the rest of the lap.

Plus on triple screens I can run it with maxed out graphics while with R3E I can only manage medium settings.

R3E is still my favourite game for the track list and the AI but I feel it still has a very long way to go in terms of force feedback/physics. I suspect it's the tyre model as they just don't grip with much consistency. To easy to spin at slow speeds and cars feel to floaty at high speeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dabbidian

dabbidian New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Iracing, I think that it is the best for online game... I love R3E, but the multiplayer is not too accurate yet

GTR2
    Race07
    GTL
    rFactor

15. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    probably R3E is the third favourite simulator for me...the first one is F355 chellenge for the Dreamcast and the second one is NASCAR Racing 2003...but while nr is getting a little older now f355 is still as young as ever with good ai and a very good graphic... :) that said I think I play r3e and race 07 more than these two...

• Like Like x 1
  16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    F355 was amazingly far ahead of its time. It was a real shame that the replays were so pants

17. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    you know what?replays in the ps2 version were complete...the ps2 version was quite shitty compared to the Dreamcast version but at least it have complete replays (that is the only good point from the ps2 version for me since the Dreamcast one is completely another world) :)

18. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I guess everyone has different requirements out of their sims. My idea of a good time sim racing after a long work day is to fire up a nice car on a nice track, do a few practice and qualifying laps, and then drop into a 5-10 minute quick race where I'm immersed in the audio/visuals/systems modelling/physics/FFB/race rules and challenged by the apparent race craft of the AI. Then rinse and repeat.

I have all the current crop of PC sims that feature an SP component, and can more or less drop into any one and achieve the above goal to some extent. Personally though I find the current ISImotor based sims (rF2, GSCE and R3E) the most appealing and spend the most time in them. Warning: my opinions incoming, not facts :)

For the sheer enjoyment of throwing a great feeling/driving gorgeous detailed car round a gorgeous detailed track against decent AI, with awesome presentation, immersion, visuals and sound, then R3E is tops - but it's pretty feature incomplete.

For the challenge and satisfaction of nursing a bastard tricky car like a Skip Barber against awesome AI, with most systems modelled, and sublime physics and FFB transmitting every nuance of the car and the road, then rF2 can't be beaten - but it sure does have drab visuals (by design, that's the worst thing), and often mediocre sound and car interiors.

For the fun of blasting great feeling quirky cars around quirky tracks against great AI with proper race rules, then GSCE is awesome - despite its garish last gen visuals and dated low res interface and presentation.

TL;DR I want a game that looks like R3E, feels like rF2 and plays like GSCE!

• Like Like x 3
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, because real life looks that washed out apparently. Must be something wrong with my eyes because what I see around me doesn't look that drab.

I love the FFB in rF2 and it's got some nice features but the rest of the package is so thoroughly underwhelming (imo) given we are nearly four years into its life. I had high hopes in the early days but now I rarely run rF2. ISI can build a great engine but I'm not convinced they have what it takes to produce a 'game'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely. There's something about rF2's austere lighting, tonemapping and shaders which makes things looks like they're lit through heavily overcast skies, regardless of the weather. I've tried to liven things up with SweetFx etc, but can only do so much. On the other hand R3E seems to me to be a great example of a DX9 engine pushing the lighting, textures and shaders so bloody hard that they look like DX11 :).

But to be fair, at this point in time I don't believe there's such a thing as the perfect driving sim.

Stunning presentation and immersive audiovisuals
    Awesome physics/FFB and driving model
    Humanlike AI
    Dynamic environment modelling - weather, time, track surface
    Complete racing gameplay.

Pick any 3...

• Agree Agree x 1