Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec is right now in the final stages of developing a completely new firmware for their DD bases. There were some issues with the DD1/2 from the beginning that couldn't be solved without a complete rewrite of the firmware and based on what I read on their forums this is very close to release.

Apart from fixing the long standing bugs (especially the jolts when the ITM screen is used) with the DD1/2, not very much is known about it.

My guess (and hope) is, that they were holding back on some releases (like e.g. QR2) until this new firmware is ready, which probably also brings new drivers, to not have to develop this double now.

I'm personally interested in this thing. It comes from rally, but can basically be fitted on any flat rim with a 6x70 mm pattern. Unlike the already released button module endurance, which only fits a small number of wheels. I'm also interested in the QR2, but I'm afraid, I'd need a different wheelbase for this, as I'm still on a CSW 2.5 and I don't see them releasing an upgrade kit for this. The way it looks, the QR on the CSW bases isn't meant to be replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I've written and said it everywhere else I frequent; I'll do the same here. If the Moza R9 was available the day I ordered my CSL-DD, that is the wheelbase I would currently own. For me the CSL-DD had timing as its major advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I like my CSL-DD, but Fanatec's proprietary quick release leaves me scratching my head. Everywhere else in the direct drive wheel market, there are solutions that you can get directly from automotive accessory manufacturers. But with Fanatec (And Thrusty's), you are stuck with what they provide. I get why, but it still puzzles me. Especially seeing better solutions out there, that cannot be used with Fanatec bases, because; they mostly say so. Not because it's impossible to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    OK Fanatec, the stage is all yours. Please elaborate on this CSL-Elite brake pedal. It's nothing like the one sitting next to me.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick shot of the CSL-E I own. Please excuse the dust, they get a lot of sox use. The elastomer stack is different than the one in the video/screenshot above.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the CSL-Elite pedals are revised and re-released, I liked the pedals but felt the potentiometers and the questionable implementation of the loadcell were holding them back.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  4. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
  5. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

what do you think of Fanatec gear in common? I read so many compliments about Fanatec lately. I had all my gear from Fanatec, sold it last year because of private reasons. Now, almost a year later, I ordered new Fanatec gear, CSL DD 8nm, CSL pedals v3 and a McLaren wheel. A have read and viewed a lot reviews and comments, it does not make me happy.
    Bad products, bad customer service, and so and so fort. so many users are complaining about Fanatec.
    I know, I only can decide if I cancel my order and buy something else, like the Moza 9 DD. Although this is a bit more expensive than Fanatec. Or buy even an other brand.
    What is your opinion about the current state of Fanatec and the Fanatec gear?
    I presume there are a lot of happy users here as well. It can’t be all bad. I had no problems whatsoever with my CWSW v2.5 and CSL pedals. Only the known shifter problems with the McLaren GT wheel. I got a refund and that was all. So I had not many complains about Fanatec, I don’t know it it went downhill the last year?

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    It will be fine, more than likely. People only post their negative stuff, Fanatec have been good for you in the past as have for me. I own only Fanatec gear, base, rims, shifter and pedals and all have been great except a dead fan in my CSwv2 and bad McLaren v1 rim which Fanatec sorted asap. No issues from me and many many other users.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    All fine here as well.
    Jedi is right.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Super happy with my base, rims, pedals and shifter.
    No issues at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I have an 8Nm CSL-DD, WRC wheel, McLaren wheel, metal QR1s for both and the CSL-Elite V1 Pedals with the loadcell.

The issues I had was the QR1L for both wheels, but that was due to me over tightening the quick releases. I went with the metal QR1 for both and haven't had problems with both of the wheels. The QR solved my confidence in the connection between the wheel and the wheelbase, which allowed me to turn the strength of the CSL-DD up.

On the Pedal front, the potentiometers on the CSL-E's throttle and clutch both started spiking. I expected it to happen, so I bought a replacement set of potentiometers from Fanatec while I waited for Hall Effect sensors from Simracingshop to arrive. Once they arrived, I swapped the old pots out, and haven't had a problem from either of the pedals since.
    My current issue with the pedal set is, I just don't like the way Fanatec designed the loadcell. Trail braking on the V1s is temperamental at the best of times. So after much thought and weighing needs versus wants, I'll be getting the CSL-Elite V2 pedals pretty soon. I like the pedals a lot, so I'll just stick with what I know, instead of spending over double and going further up market.

What rubs me the wrong way about Fanatec is, they are incredibly slow when it comes to bringing things to market, they tend to undercook their products.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  10. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. Much appreciate your honest opinions. :D Happy racing.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I am using the Fanatec WRC wheel and for some reason the LED Rev stripe is not working.When there is an update the rev stripe works but does not work whilst racing.

Any pointers to fixing this appreciated.

12. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well same for me actually. I have bought a whole lot of Fanatec gear since 2017. The only faulty one was the McLaren GT3 v1 wheel. It had the commonly known missed shifts problem. I got a refund without any hassle. The rest of my gear ran for years without any problems. The latest order was the CSL DD Pro 8nm and the new McLaren GT3 v2 wheel, the CSL p1 v2. Wheel and and the CSL Elite v2 pedals. All runs very well. :D. Not everything is bad indeed. Too bad I read so may negative reviews/complaints about Fanatec.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  13. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I had the same problem with the WRC wheel on my CSL DD. I had to get the beta 450 driver for the wheelbase, and that solved the issue. I also had to get an update for Fanalab, so I didn't have any issues with it either. If you are on the CSL DD, you might want to give it a try.

Fanatec Driver 450 Release Candidate (prev. 448 beta) for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels) — Fanatec Forum

14. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Shit I own CSP V3 and universal hub anyway, but I could have waited a year longer using my old CSL wheelbase (selling the rest as bundle with the csl ;) ) ....:)...didn't expect that at this point of economical crisis (in Europe)..

17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    This :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spidybite

Spidybite New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If only they were knocking out shifters for €80!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    https://twitter.com/fanatec/status/1705212916620796304?t=i5Nmd9HGurOCbbgfAstEOg&s=19

QR2 is about to happen. After an eternity. Watch this space early next week, they said.

Today they teased the QR2Lite...
    https://x.com/fanatec/status/1705970370023407652?s=20

It has the high torque lockout pin on the left side of the mounting flange. I planned on trying one of the QR2L's out, so this one interests me a lot. Hopefully they get sold in a shaft and wheel side combo. And hopefully that package is in one box.

Just waiting to see the CSL/DD Pro shaft, the metal version of the QR2 and pricing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  20. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec's website has been updated, all versions of the QR2 are shown.