Problem Moza racing r9 base

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Robert77, Aug 21, 2022.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I usually don't add damping unless a car or a track requires it. my R9 RRE profile was with zero wheel damper and zero wheel friction already.
    what I did in my testing tonight was to slightly increase wheel spring strength to 25% and now I am good to go:)

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yes, R9 v1 with CS v1 wheel (I also changed the rim for a smaller and lighter one).

3. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I bought the v2 base with the CS V1 at the time
    I fitted a suede covered much lighter dshape rimsince and its been a blast
    I am now using the CS V1rim only with a 3rd party KYOSTAR QR for Rally and drifting, and this worked out out great as the touch quality of the rim is fantastic but yeah its too heavy
    Final addition was to buy the ES wheel ang GT mod for my daughter to drive
    But I reckon I use it as well sometimes
    The MOZA QR is so straightforward thats its a bless to swap wheels on the fly

4. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Find the CS cumbersome and quite heavy too. What you guys use.... where'd you get your 3rd party wheels...and how mounted on the R9? Hope I could find one in Asia.

5. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Will send out all this tonight Japan time
    Amazon and aliexpress are your friends here

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    CS wheel uses the standard automotive pattern for its rim - 6*70 (6 holes on a circle of 70 mm diameter). So just search for a steering wheel and look what hole pattern it has, it's usually that one. Also pay attention to the shape of the inner part, you don't want it to interfere with buttons or knobs on the button box. Installation is very simple, unscrew those 6 screws with a 3mm hex key and put your new rim instead.

I got this one: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004788201143.html
    But it's 300mm in diameter and this is a bit too small for CS button box - shifter paddles end up a bit too wide, even after adjusting them. 310mm rim would be much better for CS button box, but I couldn't find one on Aliexpress at that time. There is a couple of them now, but one is an open-top and the other is D-shaped and kinda ugly.

Maybe also look at these 320 ones:
    Leather: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005054517946.html
    Suede: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004772606089.html

They will only be slightly smaller than the original CS rim, but if they are anything like the one I bought (same manufacturer, looks very similar) they should also be lighter, if that's important to you.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  7. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    looks like Maskerader was quicker than me :D

all his comments are valid and again Aliexpress is a good source if you are in Asia.

I had some crazy idea originally https://www.reddit.com/r/moza/comments/10scoua/modding_steering_rim_for_use_with_moza_r9_and_cs/

then came back to sense and that's the final result. 600g lighter than the CS rim with this 320mm rim instead, no kidding:eek:

upload_2023-6-1_17-49-1.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    If you're still interested in an open-top wheel, then take a look at this one (same wheel, but different sellers and prices):
    https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005565586373.html
    https://aliexpress.com/item/32998350319.html
    https://aliexpress.com/item/33052964263.html

You said you felt a lot of improvement in FFB with this lighter wheel and I expected the same when I got mine, but surprisingly haven't felt any difference. Might need to switch back to the original rim and compare it again...

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  9. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    saying "lot" was maybe overeacting:D
    but on the other hand, you cant beat physics. with the 600g shaved off the Wheel assembly with the aftermarket rim, bot the FFB felt less damped and on top of that the reduced mass then reduced rotating inertia was an advantage in managing oversteer for example
    but as you said, you need to convince yourself;)
    bottomline is I love what MOZA did with their ecosystem and the flexibility for us users to modify the hardware in such a simple and cheap way
    by the way, the QR I bought and use now with the CS rim only (no button box) https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Kyostar-Steering-Release-Adapter-Snapoff/dp/B08XX7YF7G?th=1

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and I'd need a diff QR for those wheels, right? Which one do you have? I see the @nolive721 posted.
    Now I'd have to think well about Aliexpress, as none of the items I ordered last year arrived.

11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    No, you simply replace the rim itself. The button box, QR and even bolts remain the same.

I assume nolive721 decided to use the original CS rim as a simple round wheel for things like drifting or rally, without any buttons. For that, you just buy an NRG-style QR (Moza uses it) and screw the rim onto it, because QRs usually also have this 6*70 hole pattern.

Hmm. But you got your money back?

Anyway, I'm sure you can find this stuff on Amazon or Ebay too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I didn't know about that when I bought it, but I was happy to find out you can do a lot with it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Oh ok. In that case, I won't need another QR and just still use the Moza QR, as I intend to use the buttons as well. But I learned from some YT videos that we'd have to be careful to choose the right wheel shape (like those above of nolive721), so the buttons fit past the aluminum spokes of the wheel because others are straight horizontally, rather than curved.

Money back for most, with a few deductions from the original amounts. If I get a wheel, I might have to choose Fedex option for more reliability.

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
  16. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    The first 4 options are for Simagic, yes, they have specific cut-outs for buttons and knobs. But the last one doesn't look like it's brand-specific. At least I didn't notice anything that would interfere with the CS button box. I looked carefully because I kinda like that one. (Upd: No, this one won't fit.)

S2882ec25d79145b2962d60f2ef726772X.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  18. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    yes you are right, it could be. Simpush has dedicated ES sheel mods but surprisingly nothing for the CS

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    At least they have one F1-style rim (it's in the first link in the comment above). But there are several for ES, yeah.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    A funny thing happened to me. The game crashed when I was playing, but the spring-based steering range remained working even though the game wasn't running anymore. It didn't revert to 1080 (which is set in Moza Pithouse for me), but remained 540 until I started the game again (or rebooted the base? don't remember). So this is something that is apparently done on an OS driver level, not purely in the game's FFB as I thought before. Which proves even further that it's not "a hack", but a fairly normal feature that is supported by driver's FFB interface itself.

If only the steering lock bug was fixed and we wouldn't need to deal with an incorrect default value of 13 degrees for all cars. @Alex Hodgkinson @Thomas Jansen Is it possible you look into this, please? At the very least this would help all Moza and Cammus users, but maybe some other bases as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023