New Racing Series for R3E (suggestions)

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von Dale Junior, 22. Mai 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.268 / 0 / -0
    The Formula Ford looks cool!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.013 / 0 / -0
    There's a good chance I will pass on the open wheel content completely or at least wait for a sale. Too fast and fragile for me, although lower-powered classes would appeal (I like the F3 in GSC).

O/W classes are undoubtedly important for the future of R3E - a sim that needs to diversify - so introducing them is absolutely the right thing to do. But yeah, from a purely selfish point of view I would like to see other GT and touring avenues explored. I can never have too many tin-tops!

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I like the look of Formula BMW & the US Formula Car Challenge too, both fast enough to have good speeds, but no so fast that you can't keep it in a straight line.
    Just to be clear I'm not interested in the modern F1, I think anything putting out 200-300Bhp would do nicely, and it must have wings that are adjustable, fixed aero sucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1.268 / 0 / -0
    How about Formula Student? :D
    Actually kinda cool looking, and probably not to fast.. :)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Looks a bit go kart-ish with 12inch wheels and a body, but no wings :(
    Could be fun though :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    imagine how much better f1 would be without wings... they could actually overtake;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Indeed!
    Just removing DRS and half the down-force, would make it easier to pass, F1 needs to go back to mechanical grip over aero, we'd see some real driver skills then IMO. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree wider tires, softer springs why are their no open wheelers like this anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
  10. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I think that if you made wings bigger and kept DRS the overtaking effect would increase as the difference in drag would be greater - not sure of the effect of dirty air though...

DRS works ok in other formulas its just F1 seems to have a poor formula at the moment - its not a spec series so one car will be better than another, but there rules are too tight for strengths and weaknesses to make enough of a difference on different tracks, and the engines are whatever.

The formula ford would be a great non aero open wheeler, else its back to sixties F1.

And oh yeah, as it is a made up car, do we have to have the antennae in the middle of the nose, I find it annoying, is it just me?

• Like Like x 3
  11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    its more than just overtaking, aero is what forces modern racers to keep their cars as straight as possible this is why when driving older cars they are much looser using mechanical grip to turn the car is very different to aero dependence. the older cars are less straight but can cope with bumps and curbs (and racing). to me it is more exiting to see drivers see sawing at their wheels than pressing buttons when they get on the straights.

f1 currently suffers from huge amounts of aero push particularly if they get behind the mercs and higher downforce cars, so they have to build the tracks around the cars more these days. if you look at races around older tracks like Monaco almost no racing happens. remember when Hamilton got jumped at the pits this year he was clearly faster than Vettel but as soon as he got close he couldn't turn in the dirty air. what could have been a exiting race ended up being a damp squib.
    monaco used to be the best race on the calendar but the cars are no longer suited to the track.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @Ty Duff
    The formula ford has a host of chassis to choose from too as there's been many designs over the years.
    As of 2012 they were Van Diemen, Mygale and the Australian-built Spectrum, but smaller manufacturers such as Ray and Vector have had some success too.
    The engine has also changed in F/Ford, now using the Ford Eco boost 1.6ltr turbocharged, which punches out 165Hp. There's also been some chassis changes to Formula 3 safety standards.

2012 spec Formula Ford
    [​IMG]

Would still prefer Formula BMW, same spec as Formula Ford, but with wings ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1.268 / 0 / -0
    I would like this better!
    We get wings on the GP2, and this one looks way cooler, more retro style! :hearteyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1.013 / 0 / -0
    It's a problem that the FIA needs to overcome as soon as possible for the sake of the sport. Driving on another car's gearbox for any period of time is near impossible due to the dirty air and increased tyre wear as a result. I haven't got a problem with F1 being a high-aero sport - it is surely the pinnacle of automotive design after all - but the regulations must allow cars the ability to race closely without too much adverse effect.

DRS is just a sticking plaster for the real problem. It's artificial overtaking to create false interest. I hate it with a passion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    just less aero dependent i don't want them to lose the wings but they need less front wing dependence and more mechanical grip for more racing. how else can they address this without using DRS.

16. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    This year with this epic battel

• Like Like x 4
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 16. September 2015
  17. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe I forgot the RX7 in my car list a couple of pages back... had to edit that in.

I went ahead and bought Project CARS during its brief Steam sale, and... it's a weird little game. I like it, but as a simulator, I'd hate to think of what shape it had been in when Assetto Corsa made SMS withdraw it for a few months more work. And it's STILL not finished! Not that I'm implying anything in regards to another much loved racing game... :rolleyes:

The game has a lot of issues still, not the least of which are that the tires make almost no sound whatsoever, even in a catastrophic spin. And the physics seem as basic as Forza or Gran Turismo, without the flash and guts of Forza or the panache and detail of Gran Turismo. FFB response is iffy... it's kind of a numb, disconnected feeling sometimes.

Anyhow, the reason I'm posting about it is that it has my much coveted GT4 race cars in it, and they are a hoot to run around the track! I absolutely love having these lower powered but high performance monsters with a luxury of race courses to tear around on. I have to lobby one more time for their inclusion in RaceRoom. As well as the possibility of my fantasy GTR-S and GTR... Z? classes. :p I would be in heaven if I could have these hot wheels in RR with its detailed physics. Soon to be even more detailed!

• Like Like x 1
  18. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    When it comes to open wheelers and R3E, late 90's CART would be terrific. They are just pure awesomeness in GSCE and I can't imagine what S3 could do with it. It was an amazing series that unfortunately ended, mostly because of the bad management and decisions made in early 2000's I think.

Somehow most of the modern open wheelers series just don't interest me that much. They just seem somehow bland. Granted, Indycar has some great races, but F1 for example nowadays is at the same time too restricted, complicated and artificial and huge aero makes racing a fast parade and borefest most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 19. September 2015
  19. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I am happy with what is in the game at present and many of the suggestions made here in the previous 12 pages, but I really would enjoy an american series, and after watching several of the trans am series this summer on you tube, it really is a nice addition to the sim. here is a list of the venues from the 2015 season
    March 1 – Sebring International Raceway
    April 12 – Homestead-Miami Speedway
    May 9 – Road Atlanta
    May 23 – Lime Rock Park
    June 14 – New Jersey Motorsports Park
    July 5 – Brainerd International Raceway
    Aug. 15 – Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
    Aug. 29 – Road America
    Sept. 27 – Virginia International Raceway
    Oct. 11 – NOLA Motorsports Park
    Nov. 8 – Circuit of the Americas
    Nov. 14 – Daytona International Speedway*
    A very nice mix of classic courses and some newer circuits, Ta, Ta2 and Ta3 classes which range from mild production cars to full out 850 +hp race cars. Woud make a nice experience package :)

Rich

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. Insaneozzy

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Agreed!
    But take a look at GP2 & GP3's, these cars/drivers aren't anywhere near as boring as F1, in fact quite the opposite, there's always someone making a move somewhere ;). I find myself recording them on Fox in place of the F1 events, although this weekends race @ Singapore looks like being a good one, the RedBull boys are showing some serious pace at the pointy end :) so hopefully it wont be a Mercedes white wash:p.
    I don't think S3S will do F1 for RRE, but as has been discussed prior the Formula Ford is a top request for the Devs to design. I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming GP2 release if what I'm hearing is fair dinkum, I can't wait, always loved open wheeled cars :D........Bring em on!!

• Like Like x 1