News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Longer races usually have a higher incident point limit than 30 as logically you are more likely to accumulate incidents the longer the race so getting 4 points for a collision in a longer race has less negative impact than 4 in a shorter race -- if that makes sense.

It´s logical as otherwise no one would bother with longer races as there is a higher chance of mechanical damage. I don´t recall how it worked with those short 8 min races using the Seat a few years ago.

Also, the closer your rep gets towards the 100% maximum, the less bonus you get from a clean race and the more you lose from a messy one, the same as the ELO rating system except you are measured against your own performance not the competitors.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Thats exactly my concern (well more a bit of a bummer than an actual concern but still). Why put yourself out there when the risk is higher but the reward remains the same..
    Im well aware of that but my rep was pretty much exactly the same before the two races respectively. Otherwise i wouldnt even have compared the two races because itd be obvious that therell be different gains

3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I think it mirrors real life quite well. The 24h of Le Mans has a higher points reward than a 6h race. We could also consider it is more likely you will have hardware or connection issues during a longer race. That is mitigated by the fact you could enter multiple short races in the same time frame and still get a DC in one of them, but then again you´d have the results of the other races to compensate.

I have found the optimal way to gain rep, especially after a big loss from a DNF or DC, is to do 15 minute races with as few rivals as possible and on a reasonably easy track with generous track limits. I don´t know if the system rewards more rep when the field is bigger or when racing close to other cars, as in PC2, but it doesn´t seem to be the case.

4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I feel like one of us misunderstands the other one or we just like reinforcing that we agree :D
    I agree itd be logical for a longer race to give a higher reward, im just stating that to my surprise apparently r3e doesnt do it that way
    At this point im pretty sure neither the size of field nor the proximity to other cars play a role when it comes to rep

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The thing is since there is a maximum rep (100) unlike rating which is effectively uncapped, the system can't just keep giving out rep points. So rather than think, I've done a long race with few inc's I should get a load of rep. The truth is the system is saying, you're already a clean driver, you've driven cleanly again so no big change in rep needed.

Conversely, if you have a bad race they system goes, oh! What's this! This usually clean player has had a lot of Inc points. We need to lower his score. It seems quite unfair, but as with any of these things it evens itself out to about the right value over time, even if there are fluctuations along the way.

6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Correct, field size etc etc has no bearing whatsoever. It's what you do that matters. Only your Inc points count. Even if you were alone or with 30 drivers it would be the same.

7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    I know the fact that reps limited has a few effects and for that reason wouldnt expect the 6 lap race to give exactly 3 times what the 2 lap race gave but for them to give the same, especially when doing three 2 lap races wouldve given me 2.7 times what the 6 lap race gave me for effectively the same work (other than surviving t1 three times instead of once perhaps :D), does still seem weird. I just cant quite follow the logic behind it. But maybe theres simply a cap on how much you can gain in one race and that cap is already "triggered" after 10 minutes of clean driving so that anything beyond that wont make a difference. In that case a 3×10 being better than a 1×30 would just be a quirky side effect that i suppose ill have to live with :D

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly (and nothing changed), your rep gain is capped at 10% * (100 minus your rep).

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Does it still give you 10% rep penalty if you got a disconnect before the race, or been wiped out in the first corners? If it does, I find it hard to call it "about the right value".

10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No idea. I never said the result from individual races is fair. In the case of disconnect before the race it certainly isn't. But over time the rep levels out to be about right. In my experience anyway. It's never going to be perfect.

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    My point was that the system estimates your rep gain at the start of the race and everything you do other than finish the race cleanly will deduct from that estimate. Therefore, as you said, a clean race brings the same gains. However if a longer race allows let´s say max 40 points before you get disqualified, rather than 30, then you should als have less rep penalty for each individual misdemeanour - at least that has been my experience. Did the races you did at the Ring both have 30 point limits or was the long one higher?

This is opposed to the PC2/AMS2 system where you start with nothing and need to gain points be completing clean laps and passes.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  12. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Ah now i understand what you mean. I think the longer race had a dq limit of 40 and the shorter one 30 but since in both races i had 0 incident points that wont have any effect then.

Dont know where you got that from but seems to work out perfectly and also explains why there was no difference.
    That does now make me wonder tho if you could drive a long race and gain the same amount of rep with 0 vs 1 vs 2.. incident points but thats a question for another time :D

Thanks to everybody for contributing, together youve made it make sense for me :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    When a system allows you to lose so much rep without your fault and then you need a lot of races to get back to where you were, this "not fair" (or better "not accurate") state lasts for quite a long time. So my point is, I can only call it "about right" when no bad races happen.

Even though it won't ever be perfect, it can certainly be improved.

The rating system is better in that regard, it self-adjusts both ways, so if you accidentally lose a lot of rating you'll be getting more rating in your next races.

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well that's what you get with a no blame system. Suck it up.

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Not at all. I'm not talking about how incident points are assigned in car-to-car collisions, I'm talking about how rep is calculated after that.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I doubt it's going to change at this point to be honest. Sometimes you will be penalised for things that aren't your fault.

17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Oh well. Anyway, just wanted to share my point.

18. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Any chance the praga + gt3 servers could be set up in a way that the starting grid is mixed simply reflecting the quali times rather than having all the gt3s first and then the pragas? Having to move through 20 gt3s where you have no idea how theyre gonna react is an experience im not sure ill wanna have again (at least not on a ranked server :D)

19. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the game supports that. In multiclass races, the classes are always sorted according to their performance index on the grid. If the Praga is faster than GT3 cars, they would need to change the performance index of the Praga.

20. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Yeah wasnt sure whether that was an option server side.
    Dont know if the pragas actually faster but on the couple tracks that ive tried (donington, spa) im slightly faster in the praga