OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I also agree with pixeljetstream, strongly and firmly while being entirely ignorant and uninformed of the details of what he said. It sounded good tho and that's enough for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    You can't link something that's on your harddrive. You have to upload the *.dmp file.

3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    my master told me
    where layman marvels, experts are laughing :)
    I'm not on the laughing side:p

4. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Updated -> tested 2 laps on Nordschleife ... I love it :hearteyes:

Ok, there are some points for optimization, but honestly this is already very solid.
    E.g. the gap time in the position bar is nearly unreadable, grey on grey not enough contrast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Adaptable1

Adaptable1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I played around with VR today in Raceroom and it is definitely a very welcome addition (I upgraded to the latest cars and tracks!). I have 2 x gtx1080 in SLI and noticed that only one was being utilized with my HTC Vive. Is this the way it will be moving forward? So far only iRacing seems to use both cards and SMP with NVidia. -vr 1.7 yields a pretty smooth frame rate with AA set to x2.

Another thing I noticed is that I needed to lower the resolution to 1920x1080 for the menus to be readable. Coming from 2560x1440 and triple screens, it took me some time to get settings right in the menus.

Lastly, when I quit Raceroom, it still says "Running" in the Steam menu and I can't restart it without toggling SteamVR.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi, sorry if this is a silly question, but how do I change the sound from 5.1 speakers to the headphones of the Oculus? I tried it for the first time last night and I was getting the sound on the 5.1 speakers and couldn't find the option for OR headphones.

EDIT: never mind :) I found it in Steam VR settings.

Comment about RR in VR: Good to be the first attempt; still requires lots of optimization to get better fps. Hands look too small.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    I thought this was fixed. We had this issue (or a similar one) in the office. :eek:

Great to hear all of this feedback by the way. Some new stuff, some stuff we noticed but weren't sure about.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Tortue G

Tortue G Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yes, same here, if I quit Raceroom it still running, and finally stop if I quit Steam VR too (and I need to stop SteamVR before launching the game, else it don't run...)

Thanks :) , tested again with lowered settings found in the forum, and it's better, no more stuttering and better sensations ;) !

It's still this strange feeling that things are looking reduced when moving :oops:, I must try again with a RHD car, but I think they look reduced on the left side of the car, and bigger on the right side, but I must test again ;) ... But it look not natural with this feeling.

I tested too to stop in the track and go "out" the car/cockpit to look the other cars, and the cars are strangely rendered, with speed it's like two cars superposed with a little offset, like if the previous rendering of the car is still displayed when the new is displayed too (hard to explain with my 36 english words :D...).

Some issues for this first pass, but i'm very happy to play again to the game ;) !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thomaso

Thomaso Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. There is some sort of "convergence" issue. I noticed that too, using both rift and vive. The scale of the world is changing depending on where you look or something. Very hard to describe. Haven´t noticed that in any other VR implementation.

Bought the premium version though. Still a VERY good sim and I see a bright future :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Great job guys, nice to have VR and astonished how good it is for a beta release - kudos ! Feedback points, some same as already noted:
    1. Sound in Rift cv1 headset is always mono no matter how configured.
    2. Launching direct from Simvibe results in extremely lowres pixelated image once in cockpit, menus ok. Solution is launch via Steam first then activate game from Siimvibe.
    3. Menus render at 60fps
    4. Noticed same strange effect of other cars sometimes looking 2D and seem out of proportion as smaller relative to environment.
    5. After exit game need to exit SteamVR to fully unload game.

-vr2.2 with 2xmsaa + fxaa and mostly high settings runs pretty well against 17 ai opponents. Liking the F3 alot but disappointed it did not come as a pack like the other Formula cars, seems some inconsistency in car releases. Not a fan of Silverstone unless the historic classic 60's version but Stowe is surprisingly fun.

11. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Are you using a HTC?
    I have heard from several places that people with HTC Vive complain on scale beinng wrong in cocpit games?.

Is it the same both in Vive and CV1?

I haven't noticed any scale change when I'm driving.
    Does the game run smooth, or can it be that the graphics are set too high?

Wow, -vr 2.2, 2xmsaa+fxaa, settings mostly on high and 17 AI's!!!!???.. :eek: What's your secret??? ;)

12. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to add, that I didn't experience any scale issues with my oculus rift. Everything looks fine.
    What is a problem though is the readability of the text in VR: The font of the car list in the multiplayer browser is much to small. For the game overlay, the position bar is not readable (grey font on grey background), pit stop box is also very hard to read.
    Other than that, VR support is really good, IMO.

13. franz

franz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've tried this also got some "private consulting" from Martin, but still no SimVibe.
    Reinstalled RR and delete profile in SC creating a fresh from scratch.
    Get an initial vibe/signal/transient when SC connects to RR, but the nothing.
    This can happens sometimes in other sims, like a peak/overload on the amp which then shut down and has to be turn on again.
    However in the case with RR, amp is not shut down.
    Have no problems with SimVibe & VR in ET2, LFS, AC, DIRT rally, pCars and iRacing.

14. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is good news!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike W

Mike W New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just want to say that the VR update is awesome. I have been away from this sim since I got my Vive, but I remember now why this is my favorite. Those sounds are top notch. This update plays very well on my gtx1070. Keep up the fine work, guys!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I've dropped back to -vr 2.0 with 4xmsaa and medium textures, I was getting a small amount of judder with high settings.
    On Rift I notice this scaling issue doesn't occur always and I am not sure if it is related to certain cars and / or tracks, have to do some more testing, it is relatively minor but when it occurs it distracts.

What I have found does break immersion considerably is the Steering Wheel only appears to turn in a 180 degree arc from left to right. Not sure if it is supposed to do that because I have the option to match steering to the degrees set, bug or just how it is?

One big improve I notice is that the AccuForce wheel feels a whole lot better now and the FFB is much more responsive than it used to be. Still fiddling with settings though to find what is right. Have to add considerable amount of bump and road rumble in Simvibe, same for getting anything out of the Buttkicker as not much gets through to it compared to other race titles.

Has anyone else with a Rift noticed that the sound appears to be mono and not using the Oculus 3D positional sound ? Maybe it is not implemented yet or else my system is playing up.

17. Tortue G

Tortue G Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Nop ! I have an Oculus Rift CV1...
    And the cockpit look at the good scale, and others things too when i'm not moving, but if moving it happens.
    Other guy on my french forum had this feeling too.

About sound, I think it's a stereo sound, but don't actually use the tracking, I tested with a 5.1 headset too, and its the same thing, 5.1 but no tracking (It's the same thing with Assetto Corsa too ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    About the "scale" issue ... i have it too, and i've tested some things and now i don't think it's a scale issue. I think the image for the left and the right eye are a tiny bit out of sync. Not the rotation for some reason, just the movement of things in the game. I can move my head around like crazy and it's not there (think that's because the head rotation with Oculus Asynchronous Time/Space Warp works independently from the ingame animations). But when i drive fast and i look at something that moves by very fast, i get a tiny different image (maybe one frame out of sync?) between my left and my right eye. It is very visible with shadows of trees moving through the cockpit, so i made a screenshot with the SteamVR mirror to show what i mean. I've driven several laps to test it and it is definitely there all the time. Look at the shadows:

RaceRoom VR out of sync.jpg

*edit*

And i think this difference is causing the weird scale perception issues of cars and other things that move quickly from one side of the screen to the other.

*edit*

Made another screenshot (sorry for the compression artefacts, took this image from a video i recorded) with the free camera and rotated it using the mouse very fast. I think you can see what i mean: The viewing angle on the left and the right eye is different, you can see it very well on the fence. There is definitely something out of sync between the left and the right eye.

RaceRoom VR out of sync 2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I can't find a pattern to the wing mirror bug I posted about before, with the McLaren at Bathurst it happened when I changed Track Detail to Medium, changed it to Low & High and they worked fine. So I switched back to Medium thinking that was the cause....but alas they loaded just fine, annoying when bugs don't give you a specific pattern to track them down!

20. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    This is in cars that don't have the newest driver animations.
    If you try any of the formula cars, NSU TT or Audi TT cup (might bee someone I'm missing) you'll have 360 degree arm rotation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1