Released RaceRoom Truck - now available!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Georg Ortner, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    We at KW Studios are excited to introduce a special new vehicle to the RaceRoom platform!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The RR Truck

• 1100 HP
    • 5000nm @ 1250rpm
    • 12.4 litre 6 Cylinder engine
    • 5300 kg
    • 16-speed gearbox
    • Water cooled Brakes
    [​IMG]

We are bringing you a fully authentic Truck Racing Experience, thanks to our close contact with real Truck driver Sascha Lenz during the development.

[​IMG]

Sascha has provided us with deep insights into the world of Truck racing and its intricacies, such as the brake cooling system, the unique transmission properties and the required driving style, which varies substantially from a GT3 car.

[​IMG]

But don't worry, we've included some accessibility options for ease of use.

Gearbox
    [​IMG]

A real Racing Truck has a total of 16 forward ratios operated by an H-Shift gear stick.

Gear Range
    The gears are divided in 2 Ranges:
    • 1st Range (LO): Gear 1 - 4
    • 2nd Range (HI): Gear 5 - 8
    The driver changes the Gear Range by pressing a button, depending on which gears he needs access to.

Gear Splits
    Each of these 8 gears is Split in to two ratios:
    • Low Split (L): Better acceleration
    • High Split (H): Higher Top Speed
    The Gear Split is operated by another button pressed by the driver. For the H split to engage you have to lift the throttle.

This results in 16 gears (2x8)
    A low and high Split for 8 gears that are accessed in 2 different Ranges.
    These settings are being displayed on your data display in the cockpit and the HUD.

[​IMG]

You can bind buttons for both gear Range & Split in the controller options.

[​IMG]

In real life drivers do not constantly change gears during a race however.
    In fact, on most tracks drivers are only using a couple of the top gears, as the engine produces an incredible amount of torque at relatively low RPM.

In the real trucks, drivers use specially designed gear sticks, that allow them to easily operate all these gears. In the Sim world however this can be quite tricky, which is why we gave you options for accessibility.

Accessibility Options

[EASY] Automatic gear shifts
    If you choose automatic gear shifts in the gameplay options, the sim will shift through the 8 gears and remain in H split.

[NORMAL] Sequential gear shifts
    If you disabled the H Pattern Shift option in advanced controller settings, the sim will let you manually shift through the 8 gears using your paddles or sequential stick, but you can still manually choose between L and H split if you bound a key for it.
    If you didn't bind a key for "Toggle Gear Split" you will remain in H split.

[ADVANCED] H Pattern shifts
    If you enabled the H Pattern Shift option in advanced controller settings, you need to bind a key for "Toggle Gear Range" in order to access the Low and High Range of gears.
    If you didn't bind a key for "Toggle Gear Split" you will remain in H split.
    If you did bind a key for "Toggle Gear Split" you can change between L and H split yourself.
    [​IMG]

Brakes
    The truck brakes have a hard task in slowing down a 5300kg vehicle.
    Temperature management is critical to maintaining a consistent braking performance.

Therefore the vehicle is fitted with a water cooling system on the front brakes which when activated sprays cold water onto the brake discs, which rapidly cools them.

[​IMG]

However the water tank capacity is limited to 200L so it must be managed carefully. Keep an eye on the HUD to see how much water remains in your tank during the race.

[​IMG]

Bind a key for "Brakes Water Spray" to manually operate this system, or leave it unbound for the sim to automatically activate the brake cooling once the brakes exceed their optimal temperature, which is 350 DegC.

[​IMG]

Speed Limit
    In Real life as well as in the Sim, the top speed is limited to 160kph at all tracks for safety reasons.
    Once you reach this speed, an engine limiter is preventing the vehicle from exceeding it.

[​IMG]

Driving techniques
    In the real world it is normal for the truck to be raced mainly in 8th gear, simply toggling between Low and High split on different parts of the track as there is more than enough torque at low revs.

The other gears are used once, to get up to speed leaving the pit lane or at race starts.
    All truck races are started rolling in real life.

[​IMG]

As the truck has a much higher center of gravity than anything else racing, high apex curbs tend to be avoided as they can easily tip a truck on to two wheels.

Summary
    If you want the most realistic experience you should:
    1. Use an H-Shifter and enable the "H Pattern Shift" option in advanced controller settings
    2. Bind a key for "Toggle Gear Range"
    3. Bind a key for "Toggle Gear Split"
    4. Bind a key for "Brake Water Spray"

If you want a more accessible experience disable the H-Shift option to shift either manually or automatically between the 8 gears, and choose yourself if you want to bind keys for the Gear Split and Water Spray.

[​IMG]

The RR Truck will become available very soon!

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Q: How much turbo lag do you want?
    A: YES
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    looks scary on the graph, but its nice while driving ;)

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Gonna need a high/low splitter for my keyboard just to be able to map all the new keys!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    while it adds to the fun/immersion, its perfectly fine without all those new buttons

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I thought it's released... Guess we need to wait for the sale to end. :)

Is this how it is these days? Brake cooling is only manual in real life? Because this is what I found in an article from 2017:
    "There are different philosophies up and down the paddock. There are trucks out there that have constant flow, there are trucks that have nozzles connected to the brake pedal, so as soon as drivers hits the pedal, the water comes and there are other ones with time relay – five seconds spraying and five seconds off, something like that".

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I watched a couple of races and learned that rolling start also requires a special technique. Turbo-lag is very high in these vehicles, so you roll down the start-finish straight on full throttle while also holding the brakes to keep under speed limit. When the lights go off, you release the brakes and go. But you still need to be careful to avoid wheelspin.

I wonder if this can be reproduced in the game.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if rolling starts can be reproduced in game.....

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    They usually work in single player, no?

---
    BTW, does anyone have exact dimensions for these trucks? From my estimations they are only about 15-20% wider and longer than for example M4 GT3, which means they are of course big but not like awfully big.

The weight distribution is extreme though... Something around 65/35.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Here you go. They can´t be too wide as they still have to run on normal roads. The height, weight and COG are the main differences. I do like to pit trucks against Karts in AMS2 a bit like Mustangs vs Minis.

https://www.planet-trucks.com/technical-data-sheets/man-tgx-18-440-4x2-bls-efficient-line

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-m-motorsport/race-cars/bmw-m4-gt3.html

• Like Like x 1
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    They do. But you don't get control until after the line so you couldnt use that technique anyway.

The trucks are built in a road going chassis. Bodywork can be adapted (the cab is much lower)

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Ah, yes, I forgot about that. :(

13. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Also forgot to mention this one :D
    Does this adjusted HUD mean you, the devs, can now make changes to HUDs and probably update them or add new ones?

14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of a time very young at age, when I stood next to a normal truck (without trailer of course) at a crossroad with my very fist car (Renault 4 :D) waiting for green light and was really expecting to have a chance against that thing....:D:rolleyes:
    When I woke up from my daydream the truck was miles ahead....and the trucker surely had a big grin on his face....

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just an edited version of existing dashboards tailored for use in the truck I believe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  16. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Very excited to hear these in action, hope it's not far away.

17. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
  18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. KOKORO ga PYONPYON

KOKORO ga PYONPYON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    A moment of surprise and confusion.:eek::eek:
    upload_2022-11-6_18-33-40.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Qwikstreet

Qwikstreet Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait to give these a try. I am hoping it is more fun than the Truck Racing Championship game.

Imagine the pain of doing the weekly Nordschleife race. Or a multi class race with the trucks and the NSU.