News Update scheduled for December 18th

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    If I understood well, the reason is the ABS is being overcome and can´t fully prevent the brakes from locking. Locking front brakes are always going to cause understeer as the wheels are not rotating in the steered direction.

I guess the solution will be to develop un uprated factory ABS system, which can be calibrated, like TC, the same as we get in most other games.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. x26111

x26111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty happy with the update. Sure it needs some tweaking, which I hope will come soon.

To all those locking your brakes, drive a few Formula cars without ABS for a few weeks. Those will help you learn to brake properly.

This isn't MarioKart thank God.

3. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Are the AI faster now, or is it just me losing out under braking performance?

4. x26111

x26111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if you're asking me, but I haven't tried AI since update. All I know is you need need more precice braking than before. I like it. It feels more rF2 and AC like.

I'll give BrandSnatch + AI in my Porsh a try and get back to you.

EditToAdd:
    Don't know what's up but maybe the AI is taking advantage of the new tires as well?? The devz should chime in on this..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
  6. x26111

x26111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, went a few laps on BH with 7 cars at 100% with the Porsh and Ferrari. Was never a prob.
    All I can say is that the AI totally ignore any down-force requirements and have perfect grip.
    They accelerate away from me no matter what wing settings I use. Adjustments are needed.

As for ABS, I can't even find settings for this.

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, it's valuable to know how things work in real life. But that explanation doesn't fit with what I see in the game, what other players say, and what Alex said on Discord:

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

alex added to it ; he didnt disagree with it and the two examples are low downforce non abs cars

he started with this
    https://discord.com/channels/254906072748261376/254906072748261376/1188055678204518460
    And this is exactly what i am feeling in cars with downforce / and abs

Andi

9. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody know if front ride height was changeable on the frx90 before this update?

10. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    it was

11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Any particular reason it no longer is?
    Also would like to see things like that reflected in the change log. Im also still wondering where 10kph of top speed in the mazda dpi went, nothing in the change log for that either so leaves me wondering if it was intended, if something went wrong game side or if something went wrong on my side

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Some cars are different now, for whatever reason. I'm full 7 seconds slower in NSU in Portimao than before the update.

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. The Silhouettes are now back to what they were before the last physics and tyre updates, gone is the stodgy and sometimes unpredictable handling and laptimes are now close to Gt3s.

My first test was with a Gt3 and I thought, jeez if these are the cars they focussed on then what will the rest be like, but I was pleasantly surprised; previous turds like the Mustang DTM, Greenwood Corvette and Nissan GTO are all now driveable and fun too boot, so that´s great for me. Pretty sure it´s not just the new tyre model, something has been done to give more linear grip.

Bak to the Gt3, I feel the braking performance is off and there is also something off with the default setups as they seem to be shadowing settings from my older custom setups - e.g. load a default setup and the left and right cambers are different. It doesn´t happen when a car has no custom setups files.

14. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    That's why I asked, I seem to be well off the pace compared to before and because I have no times saved to look back on, I'm not sure if it's me struggling with braking or the AI have gained some speed

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with them? Other than braking?

Can you post a screenshot? What car? I don't see this on Bentley Evo.

Yes, a lot of people reported that AI is now much much faster and Andi confirmed that you should now be using lower AI skill levels.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
  17. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Look I'm no expert but what I do know is lockups in gt3 cars are a thing of the past. They have the most sophisticated electronic systems to cope with any brake pressure. This is not reflected in the sim regarding this class. Which makes me wonder....should have the devs delayed this particular change to braking till they implemented new abs steps/maps. The update as a whole is wonderful just the braking that broke the sim for me. Maybe a hotfix to get the assisted abs to function will be helpful.

18. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    It was an intended change to the ABS, based on feedback from real GT3 teams that our ABS was 'way too efficient'. As some have said already, the tyres are not actually locking with ABS, they are just underrotating. Which causes extreme understeer when you try to turn while that is happening. The most important job for ABS is to stop you from fully locking a tyre and flatspotting it, which would essentially be your race over.

Here is a graph of the Lateral tyre force when turning at 5 degrees lateral slip angle, as a function of the longitudinal slip ratio (braking slip). Which shows how much lateral force you lose when the tyre is underrotating (anything past the optimal slip ratio).
    [​IMG]
    The picture above also helps explaining this. As ABS aims to keep the tyre at optimal longitudinal slip ratio for braking force, it will severely limit the lateral force the tyre can produce at the same time. Generally, what you need to be doing on corner entry is to bleed off the brakes enough to have only a tiny bit of longitudinal slip on the outside front tyre, well below the ABS threshold. So that you have the most lateral grip available as possible to turn into the corner. A bit of trailbraking is still optimal, because this braking force shifts more weight to the front, giving more overall grip potential to the front tyres. So while a part of that grip goes towards braking force, it still results in more lateral force as well!

This might sound like ABS is useless as soon as you start turning, but it is still very effective for the inside front wheel. As the inside front wheel has much less weight on it, but it still gets the same amount of braking input as the outside front wheel. So the ABS will make sure that this inside wheel does not lock up, making trailbraking much easier and safer. The picture below shows an example of this trailbraking in the AMG GT3. The outside front (red) stays at a very low slip ratio (1-3%), to optimize lateral cornering force, while the inside front (blue) starts to lock at this braking input, but the ABS starts to kick in heavily to stop it from locking up.
    upload_2023-12-25_9-29-34.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. MARCELO RODRIGUES

MARCELO RODRIGUES New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did Shopping Kart disappear even after the last update?

Attached Files:

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it was removed. Probably because it was broken and could crash the game and even your PC when you crash in the kart.